Monday, December 10, 2012

Morning Baking

Soup and baking.  Two delicious reasons to love fall/winter months.  Today will be a chilli day, and the house already smells like pumpkin bread.

The kitchen is chilly in the mornings.  The best cure for that is something in the oven filling the air with heat and tasty smells.  I have wonderful banana bread recipe, but since I ate the last banana Friday for breakfast, that was out.  And my zucchini was frozen rock solid.  But I did have can of pumpkin that missed out on being pie at Thanksgiving. 

I've always wondered if I could substitute pumpkin for banana in the banana bread recipe and with a bit of tinkering, come out with something edible....

I suspect there might be a tad more than three bananas worth of pumpkin in a 12oz can, but what the heck - bananas come in all sizes, so there had to be some flexibility built into the recipe, right?
Banana Bread
  • 1 stick butter/margarine, melted
  • 3 ripe mashed bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nuts
Combine butter, bananas, eggs, vanilla and sugar and stir until mixed.  Add flour, salt, baking soda and stir together.  Add nuts and stir until just mixed.  Pour into greased bread pan and bake at 350' for one hour.
So... I substituted the canned pumpkin for bananas, added 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cloves and since I had about a cup of fresh cranberries left over from Thanksgiving, I added those in when I added the nuts.

It makes a pretty loaf - sort of deep orange, with the bright red of the cranberries.  I suspect I probably could have added an extra 1/4-1/2 cup of flour, and an hour of baking time wasn't quite sufficient, but an hour and a quarter saw it done.  It's definitely best to let it cool in the pan, and it cuts better when it's been chilled in the refrigerator for a while, but all in all I'm pleased with the result, and I think with the extra flour it would even be company-worthy.  But possibly as muffins.

Good thing we have all these nice neighbors/relatives that stop by for coffee.

4 comments:

buckpony said...

MMMMMMMMM - subbing the pumpkin and spices in the banana bread recipe sounds delicious! I use the same banana bread recipe - isn't that funny? Thank you for the great recipe idea to try this season!

Drew got his cast off about 3 weeks ago and is now in a boot. He will hopefully be done with the boot this coming Monday! Still won't be cleared for soccer and riding for about 6 months, but we will see...hoping the dr. will say he can ride in a brace or something, but no matter what, we will be following the dr.'s orders. :)

Thank you for the kind comments - a lot has been going on here. I will post an update ASAP. It has been wonderful having a semi-happy pony lately. We are still trying to figure out bits though. I'll post photos as soon as possible.

So glad you are a little farther South and that all of your guys are in one place. Enjoy!! :)

SunnySD said...

That is funny - but it's such an easy, tasty recipe it's no wonder it's popular, right?

Very glad to hear Drew's healing well. Broken bones are absolutely no fun - and I'm sure he was bummed to be missing the rest of soccer season and riding. Still, better to follow doctor's orders and get everything healed up right! Looking forward to hearing/seeing what you've been up to :)

Kellie said...

What a good idea to substitute pumpkin, I'll have to try your recipe.

SunnySD said...

Let me know what you think, if you do try it :)