Sunday, May 4, 2008

More walkies...

Flaming Stars Thunder

As I sit here typing this around the cat in my lap, I'm still smiling just a bit. Pasture mud is still curtailing the riding, and Sunny was more interested in hay than in working today, but when the three-year old Pinto-Boy stuck his nose in the halter, I thought, well, why not? So he accompanied us on a mile long stroll down the road today. (That's him to the right earlier this spring with my husband who's well over 6' -- Pinto-Boy is going to be BIG when he finally quits growing!)

I wasn't actually expecting much -- or rather, I was expecting more action that I got. It was an absolutely beautiful day with no bugs, lovely sunshine, and just enough breeze. We walked down the long driveway with only the slightest of hesitations at the mailbox. Hmmm... so far so good. Turning right we proceeded on down the gravel and over the slight rise toward the neighbors. They have kenneled hunting dogs that always bark, a huge double door garage with reflect-y windows, and a horse-eating double height mailbox. Did we falter? Nope. A momentary pause to snort at the reflection, but when I encouraged my friend and fellow walker to just keep walking and chatting as usual, on we went with barely a countable hesitation. Pinto-boy checked out the oversize mailbox and was rewarded by a click and treat. No monsters here!

At the crossroad we turned around and strolled back home. He went the entire way with no yelling for his mates, dancing or other silliness. Just a loose lead, lovely flat-footed walk, pricked ears, and no excess anxiety whatsoever. I couldn't be prouder of him if he was mine! I'm more and more convinced that he's going to be a pleasure to start, and I'm sort of jealous that he isn't going to be mine, too. He's Sunny's half-brother - same sire, RA Sunny Boy. I'm increasingly impressed with the colts he throws. All three of them that I've been around have had the same laid-back, curious, but less than volatile response to strange things. The mares they're out of have much the same reaction and easy-going personalities, so overall, it seems to be a happy combination for nice, steady trail horses with enough snap and eye-appeal to have potential in the show ring -- we'll have to see on that last when the older ones get a bit further along in their careers.

No comments: