Saturday, May 3, 2008

Still no riding, but a realization

After yet another day of rain, we finally had a day of sunshine. Unfortunately, totally de-mudding my pasture pony would have taken the entire time I had to spend, so after knocking off the worst of the mud we just went for a stroll down the road. Stopping to graze on the new spring grass, watch a wild turkey stroll back into the tree belt, and goggling a bit at the nearest neighbor's oversize mailbox -- it may not sound like we accomplished much, but the fact that he was quiet and didn't drag me home.... Well, it felt like success just re-bonding after not so much time together this winter. Hopefully, if he doesn't reacquire a new coat of mud tonight, we'll do better tomorrow.

It started me thinking, though just what value Sunny has to me. I paid (overpaid, probably) $500 for him as a long-yearling. He was halterbroke - barely and still a stud, both of which I rectified as soon as I could. It took us a while to bond initially. He'd not been handled much after being weaned, and he was quite happy with the company of a year-mate and the older gelding I was riding at the time. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have considered him but for the fact that I was desperate for a horse of my own, and his owner had been making noises about sending him to the sale barn. For an Arab or Arab-cross in this country, that's a death sentence. I don't know that he actually would have gone down the road, but it's as much to my benefit as to his that he didn't.

I've ridden plenty of horses, but I'd never started one, so Sunny went to a trainer as a three-year-old. He does mainly Quarter Horses, and had started several other horses I've ridden. He also had an advantageous location -- right down the road, which meant no trailer required. Sunny learned a lot, but I think the trainer did, too -- Arabians evidently need more patience than Quarter Horses (who'd have thought!). But after that was sorted out, Sunny did well. He's not a show horse. We've done mostly trail riding and a few small fun shows for, well, fun. He's learned about kids since I married (acquiring two) and has happily packed the younger of the two on his first excursion into the show ring -- they earned a blue in lead line, which resulted in an ear-ear grin from the one on top, although Sunny didn't seem surprised.

I've learned he won't make a drill team horse -- no problems with the flag, but being squeezed by the other horses doesn't suit him. He's not that fond of cows, but doesn't mind chasing them if he's asked. When he stepped on a nail and his foot abscessed during a cold snap in February, he allowed his foot to be soaked in Epson salts in -5'F weather, and tolerated the daily penicillin shots without twitching an ear. He's open to almost anything that involves a clicker and a cookie.

He probably wouldn't bring anything much if I wanted to sell. But I didn't buy him as an investment, or at least not as a monetary investment. He's my stress relief, my satisfaction, my sanctuary when the world gets too complicated, my teacher and my pupil, and my responsibility. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: