Thursday, June 26, 2008

How long is long enough?

Tonight I had an hour. One hour total, from stepping out of the car at the farm to stepping back in. The kids had been promised we'd go bowling, and between supper, the inevitable teen cry of, "I have to do my hair!" before leaving the house, and getting the horses called up, my evening was a lot shorter than I'd initially planned. Funny how that seems to happen!

We had rain last night and all morning before it cleared, so it was hot and sticky and we arrived at the farm in the evening lull when the breeze dies and mosquitoes and heel flies attack in swarming droves. The horses were quick to come in, and while they were muddy from the rain earlier in the day, Sunny is too fastidious to be much of a wallower, so it was the matter of minutes to get him brushed off and tacked up.

H took over my camera, so she gets the photo credit.
The frog prince survived his horse encounter
unsquished, although it was a near thing.

After I convinced H to part with my camera for a bit, T took some video, but I neglected to tell him keep it short, so I'll have to see if I can edit it into short clips tomorrow. I got in about 15 minutes of nice circles and serpentines, but mosquitoes - is there a name for those hovering masses of bloodsuckers? A fog? A whine? A welt? Whatever you call them - they kept us up on the driveway and lower lawn where the grass was short. (I wish we could work up even a small bit of ground for an arena, but pasture's at too much of a premium.... gotta keep the sheep happy!) Staying out of the long grass did help a bit with the bugs, but not as much as Sunny'd have liked!

When I was through I tossed M up for a brief lead-line session, leaving just time to untack, brush & turn out before my hour was up.

M & Sunny get reacquainted

My quandary though, is this - is a 15-20 minute ride better than nothing, or am I just encouraging a short attention span? Do I continue ride on these shortened evenings and hope I can get something accomplished? Tonight our 15 minutes felt good, and brief sessions for groundwork - five minutes here, 20 slipped in there.... I have good results with those. But for under saddle work, I suspect that when I consistently don't have enough time to spend, I'm ending up ingraining a lack of work ethic. I really don't want that. I know some of you out there ride on tighter schedules than mine - what's your answer? Is an occasional long working session enough to keep things in tune? Indoor arena, lights (wishful thinking...)? Or am I worrying for nothing?

3 comments:

Pony Girl said...

That is a good question. I don't have a perfect answer. I can go and drop 3-5 hours with my horse, easy, between the drive there, grooming, working, cooling out, hand-grazing, and cleaning out his run-in shed. It never feels like that much time, because I love every minute of it. I make sure I have the time to spend w/him, because he is not in my backyard. I have a 45 minute drive to get to him.
I think if you make the short amount of time quality time, it will be good time. It's better than going 2 weeks without riding before you can get a good couple of hours, I would think? Or maybe, use the short times to work on groundwork/round pen work, or a good grooming/wash- go back to basics. Then use the longer stretches for riding?
Also, I think attitude helps. Even if you are on limited time, try to relax and not make it feel rushed, because I think that transfers to the horse.
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I've read plenty of "quick ride" magazine articles that all seem to say, "If you can ride for 20 minutes, make it a good 20 minutes. Brief relaxed walk, plenty of transitions, and multiple patterns."

Full-time job here, and there are days it's near-dark before I crawl on one of my boys. We take advantage of even a 10 minute lunge and a 15 minute coming-&-going at walk & trot.

Shouldn't develop a sour-attitude about short work, as you demonstrated in the next post about your long trail ride.

SunnySD said...

Jennifer, thanks for your thoughts, I'll have a look for some of those articles.

And pony girl, not in your backyard is an understatement! Long distance relationships (of any sort!) are tough, but it sure sounds like you and My Boy are clicking - love the tarp photos, by the way.

Quality time it is. After yesterday, I know I could use a massage, so Sunny's definitely earned an evening of horsey day-spa treatment! lol