Friday, June 13, 2008

A sigh of relief

Well, we did it. It's taken a while longer, but as you can see from the grin on my face, the evening was a success. After delays by weather, wedding and two dozen other odd things, we finally saddled both three-year-olds tonight. I wasn't actually intending to, which is probably why it went so well.

I started the evening with a smaller goal -- saddle Sunny for the first (OMG - can't believe it's June and I'm only now putting a saddle on!) time this year. Friends are day-riding down on the Missouri tomorrow; a shakedown ride for them, to see how the trailer's packed, the horses are riding, and the knees are feeling. She's been battling joint problems, and he's had health issues, so it will be an easy ride, break for lunch, and an easy mosey back to the trailer. When they asked if I wanted to tag along, how could I pass it up?

SOooo... back to the main event: Sunny & the youngsters were caught up, my husband was fooling with Amyra, his filly, and somehow when I opened my mouth out popped, "There's an extra saddle in the car." Oh boy.

But she stood like a placid rock while he saddled, and walked just as calmly around the lot for 5-10 minutes with only the occasional ear cocked to listen to the saddle squeak. PB was just as calm, if slightly more hesitant to actually turn - I think he thought he'd been corseted!

As a first saddling went, it was a complete non-event. Sunny was fine for the few minutes I rode, and I think, touch wood, that he'll be good to go tomorrow. I'm looking forward to riding, but more so to that big sigh of relief I'm going to heave when we're all home safe and sound after a sunny day's ride along the river.

Wish me luck!

No comments: