Friday, July 18, 2008

A change of plans

You know what they say about best-laid plans and contact with the enemy? Well, our plans to attend the rodeo last night didn't survive, either!

We have a book of tickets... somewhere. Of course, it would be helpful if we could find them. Sigh. We turned the house upside down, checked work offices, and then gave up for the evening. Hopefully they'll turn up today. Otherwise we'll go with Plan B, once we decide what that is.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'd be happy enough to get up early, take the kids fishing, and then to the rodeo parade, and spend the rest of the afternoon doing hores-y things.

I got a phone call last night asking if I wanted to ride in the parade. My trail-riding friends are representing a boarding facility where she works part-time doing books, and I have ridden through with them a couple of times in the past. On finding out that they're entry number one hundred one of 150 entries, well... I told her I'd think about it.

The parade starts at 10:30 AM. Logically, they want everyone lined up well in advance so as to minimize the obligatory confusion as much as possible. The last time I rode, I think we waited 2 hours in 109' heat before our part of the parade so much as wiggled. The blacktop was melting under the horse's hooves!

Here's a map of the parade route:



All the horses unload at the high school and then trek to wherever their entry number designates they line up. The parade finishes up somewhere around D, and everybody meanders back to trailers & cars by whatever route.

I just don't think I'm up to it this year. Maybe I'll do the Parade of Lights in November. That's fun, although chilly, and since it's after dark no one's allowed to throw candy which means there's less chance of a toddler darting out and squishing under Sunny's hooves. I don't worry much at all, notice!

No comments: