T was to have gone last year, but a family emergency changed plans at the last minute. This year he was bound and determined nothing was going to spoil his fun.
I did lobby successfully for him to leave the big truck and trailer home with me - I want to ride, too!
Rufus is sharp shod - I'll have to get a picture - for good traction on potentially frozen hills.
T had his list compiled. Need I mention the phone calls if I'd seen, variously, his compass, his long underwear, the missing wool socks he knows were in his drawer last week... At least he knows were the guns are!
I got to make the list of horse-type extras and make sure they were packed.
Basic extras on my list include:
- halter & lead - spare set in addition to what Rufus is wearing
- headstall & reins - and spare set
- cinch & latigo (spare set in addition to the ones on the saddle)
- saddle pads (2 extra)
- box with assorted bucket clips (carabiners), saddle strings, twine, electrical tape, etc.
- human/equine medical supplies - although since they're going with a large-animal vet, and he's taking his truck complete with vet box, I'm hoping they'll be covered in that department!
- buckets (2 minimum)
They were loaded and off about 1 PM yesterday. T called this morning to say he'd gotten a deer - they hadn't been out with the horses yet, just walking to scope out the lay of the land.