Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Missions accomplished

Well, mostly...

Sunday the boys got more trailer time. I set up ground poles and cones, and worked on backing and sidepassing.

Sunny's new girth fits (Hooray!) - and will fit even better once he loses a bit of that belly.
Thunder was great with the saddle, as well, but I didn't have a hand free to get pictures of him wearing it. All things considered, he was a start this weekend. I really would like to get him sent off to the trainer... But his owner isn't too interested, unfortunately.

Rufus got new shoes early (really early) Sunday morning. He gets his feet done by the farrier J uses. He's a nice guy and he does a good job, which also means he's super busy. J said he called late the night before and arrived to start working around 5: 30 a.m. That's not uncommon - which means I often find out he's been there after the fact. Not ideal since I like to be on hand, but he does a good job and Rufus's feet looked fabulous.

J and I rode about 8 miles Monday a.m. - my thighs are telling me about it today - before it got too hot. We walked where the breeze kept the bugs off, and trotted or loped the grove lined sections. I tend to have a hard time getting Rufus to take the left lead, but he picked them both up without too much work on my part for a change. Both horses were eager to get out and go, and it was a beautiful day for a ride. A lovely way to spend a few hours - I hope everyone else's 4th was as pleasant!

No comments: