Thursday, August 14, 2008

Feet are done!

After being forgotten by the farrier on Tuesday, I spent this afternoon watching a steadily blackening sky and waiting for the heavens to open. Just before 6 PM I headed out - lightening in the southwest, and scattered raindrops on the windshield.

In town, the streets were still mostly dry. Just south of town the road was wet and there were fresh puddles. By the time I turned in the driveway at the farm, although the raindrops had ceased hitting, it was sticky and humid and still.

Thunder was rumbling off in the distance, and the lot was a slippery mess. Yuck. I called the farrier - was he still planning on coming? "Is it raining?" No, not yet. He'd leave right away, then.

I grabbed halters, and slipped and slid my way to the back pasture where the horses were holed up against the trees - this is what the sky looked like as I crested the hill.
They trailed in walking slowly behind Sunny and swishing flies. The farrier was waiting for us (par for the course when the horses aren't caught). Rather than tie any of them up and attempt to trim in the lot, I just pulled them out one at a time to stand on the grass where there was at least a bit of traction and less goo.
Yucky lot!
Sunny looks thrilled, doesn't he? They were all walking very carefully, as was I!

The whole gang hung out for a bit after the farrier finished & left, but as I drove away they were all heading back out for grass. It was way too slippery to ride, so another night has passed me by. Can't regret getting all those hooves trimmed, though.


The farrier left me with the unhappy news that his rates are increasing. He didn't say how much, and I didn't ask. It isn't completely unexpected, as at $25 a head (just trimming, no shoes) he's been very affordable. As long as he does a good job and stays available, I'll keep booking him. Still, I can't say I was happy to hear it.

No comments: