Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dodge: An old friend does it right

A few weeks ago I posted regarding a gelding I'd once ridden whose new owners had a "old injury" related question.

I received a Dodge-update recently, and I just have to share.

A Bit of Background: Dodge is a real sweetie - a big boy for a half-Arab, with a personality to match. He was so not being used to his full potential standing in as pasture sentinel for the broodmare herd, which is what he'd been left to once Sunny started occupying most of my time. He just needed the right person to really make him shine.

His new owner, J, a young lady from out East, has definitely broadened his horizons. From a western horse with a background in trail & cows, he's gone to the land of English saddles, working in frame, and collecting with the best of them. (J's mom wrote this letter after Dodge had settled in a bit - what a lucky horse he is to have landed with such a great family!)

The Update: J's been showing him in open class hunter at some of the big shows - and they're placing! Last week they got their first blue. Her mom sent pictures from two shows they attended last weekend, as well as some of Dodge actually standing in the ocean on a recent trail ride.

As much as I appreciated the show pictures, I really loved the one J's mom sent of the two of them in the ocean. Dodge was wearing his skew-eared "I know you want me to do this. I'm doing it. But I don't have to look like I'm happy about it!" face - so typical I was laughing looking at it. He will happily stand all day in a stagnant pond, but moving water is suspiciously active for his taste - goofy boy.

We (BO & I) always knew Dodge could compete with the best given the opportunity. His new family has faced some challenges - all that standing around between trail rides gave him a short attention span for arena work, which resulted in some tantrums, and he's still developing some of the muscle needed to carry himself in frame for long periods - but they're also seeing a lot of progress and potential for more.

What really makes my day, though, is how happy they've been with his unflappable trail attitude. Good boy, Dodge!

A Dodge retrospective:

Pre-4th of July Parade,
Wessington Springs, SD
(2001)

Pre-4th of July Parade, Mitchell, SD (2001)

(2002)

Parade of Lights test-run, (2004)

Parade of Lights test-run (2004)

Dodge (2005)

1 comment:

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

That is fantastic!!
I love hearing about horses that come from humble beginnings and make it big.
You go Dodge!!!