Monday, August 18, 2008

Idle thoughts

  • Why is it that we spend so much time worrying over what exactly we have to accomplish, instead of simply taking the time to enjoy where we've gotten to?
  • Is it really necessary that nature synchronize her watch so that all female members of a household suffer PMS simultaneously? (And just how many crabby women does it take to cause an implosion?)
********************
I rode tonight. Briefly, since I was losing daylight by the time I walked back and collected Sunny. He's gained weight. I know this, because not only is he round like a pumpkin, but the new girth I ordered (which thankfully has elastic on both ends!) was snug before I reached the fourth hole on both sides.

The girth I've been using is plain cotton web with no elastic, and I'm guessing would not have fit tonight.

We trotted poles, worked on catching diagonals, and that was pretty much it. T took some video, but the shots were either too long or really awful or both. It felt like I had one stirrup leather longer than the other for most of the time I rode, and I kept wiggling trying to fix it. Saddle looked even, felt even, & the leathers were adjusted the same. They aren't old enough to have stretched out. Everything was feeling better by the time I finished, so I'm guessing I just need to stretch out more before I get on.

Aside from remembering to stretch, I'm still rounding my shoulders, and my hands are consistently too far forward. I'm going to have to really concentrate on riding with longer rein, and on getting my hands back to the pommel of the saddle so I'm not constantly collapsing over my hips.

Leg position wasn't absolutely horrid - as I was reminded previously, I need to keep my toes in. But other than the stirrup thing, I felt & look pretty secure.

I do need to stop looking down to check my diagonals. I can feel them, and 9 times out of ten I'm correct if I'm thinking about it and remember to change crossing the center or changing direction. I just have this bad habit of looking down.

My goal is to get out to the farm earlier on Wednesday evening. The shadows have pretty much covered the field by 7 PM, and by 8:30 when I finished up, it was starting to get dusky. I love fall, but I hate losing the daylight!

Two does and a half-grown fawn darted across the road in front of me on the way home. Pretty things. Hope they stay out of sight during deer season.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

To help with that looking down habit... I read in "Centered Riding" in a few spots that...

If you're looking down, imagine someone asking you "Are you looking for a soft spot to land?"

SunnySD said...

Ouch! How.... motivating.

Haven't read through that one for a while. Perhaps I should. She has a lot to say on balance, as I recall.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I am bad to look down to make sure I catch my diagonals too. Getting my right diagonal is the hardest. Even if I am in time with the leg at the walk, I seem to always come up on the left diagonal. I guess I probably spend a little more time in the english saddle-LOL.

buckpony said...

Love the idle thoughts....in our household it only takes one woman and PMS to implode the house...can my excuse be that I have red hair?

I like Jennifer's comment about looking for a soft spot to land. Back when I used to take lessons, my instructor taught the Centered Riding techniques. Excellent book.

Since I have too many riding faults to be able to give riding advice, I'll just wish you luck with having more time riding and practicing. :)