Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Recipe: Barbecue Chicken Breast w/ Jalapeno Beans

We actually got a couple of inches of snow today!  It started about 1 PM as nearly invisible flakes, and by 4 o'clock it was snowing to beat the band.  I made it to the dump with another load of assorted nail-studded boards and half a truckbed of "it's biodegradable, so we can just leave it sit in a mound by the barn" bale wrap somebody didn't dispose of properly. Grrrr! Along with a few more odds and ends of things, I got another 420 lbs dropped off.

After a stop by the library and the grocery store, with the snow picking up, I headed home for evening chores pondering what to make for supper.  Personally I love soup, and the slow cooker has had a workout these past few weeks, but I know T prefers to cut something with a fork at least a couple time a week so....

I had some chicken defrosting, but not a clue what I was going to do with it.  Our usual fallback meal is stir fry, but I wasn't in the mood.  After some browsing around, I decided to experiment. T says this is definitely repeatable, so I figured I'd share.

Barbecue Chicken Breast w/ Jalapeno Beans

1T. oil
3 small/med sized onions
2 chicken breasts
1/2 container honey mustard barbecue sauce (or to taste)
5 or 6 (more or less if you like spicy or not) slices of pickled jalapeno
1 can of Great Northern beans - do not drain

Add oil to a large skillet.  Slice onions and saute with jalapenos over low heat until translucent.  Adjust heat to medium, wait until pan is hot and add chicken breasts.  Sear chicken until golden brown on both sides (3-5 minutes) and onions have caramelized.  Reduce heat to low.  Add barbecue sauce and beans.  Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender (at least 30 minutes) - the longer it cooks, the better the flavors marry.

Serves two, but would easily stretch to three or four with the addition of a couple more chicken breasts and another can of beans.

I served it with homemade bread and butter for mopping up the gravy, and a tossed salad.  Sorry, no picture.  The steam from the pan kept fogging the camera lens and I finally gave up.  I guess I could have taken one of my plate, but by the time it was on the table I was too hungry to be thinking about photography! 

2 comments:

Kellie said...

YES! An easy recipe that has jalapenos!! I will be trying this soon!!

Hope you guys enjoyed the snow.

SunnySD said...

I love spicy!

We didn't get a lot, but every little bit helps, that's for sure.