Saturday, April 18, 2009

Art to live with

I've been meaning to do this for a while, and cleaning out personal items at at work prompted me to start the ball rolling. I happen to like living with horse-related art, much to T's dismay - oh, not scads of it, but every now and then I happen across something I really like.

I'm not necessarily a fan of one particular style, medium, or whatever, and I'd be the first one to say that I'm not "art educated." But I do know what I like to live with. (The statement that makes the art world collectively cringe - lol!)

In terms of equine artists, several I've stumbled across I've like well enough to purchase - not as investments, but because I felt a connection.

One is a print of a sketch by Heather Rohde titled Desert Treasures. It's a favorite because the three horses pictured greatly resemble three of the mares at the farm. Farthest left is Foxy, middle is Lace, and on the right, Pennie, as least as I see it. I've seen those same expressions on their faces a thousand times.
Not the best shot of it, perhaps...
but it looks much better on the wall!

Another of my favorites is a more recent discovery - artist & author Nancy Bailey. She writes Cliffy's Mom's Blog. I have three of her note cards framed. She does beautiful things with watercolor & pencil, and I'm drooling over a couple of her charcoal studies.
The eyes have it
*Couldn't get the shots to take without a bad glare in their frames, so I had to take them out. Don't you just love the expressive eyes? Her dog prints are great, as well, and she's an author, too.

What else?
I don't know if he's art, but I use this homely little guy for a door stop. Chopped & welded railroad spikes... it's amazing what you can make out of them.
He makes me smile.

I found him in a junk shop - wish they hadn't painted him copper, but he has character, for all that. Whenever I see him I'm reminded of the cartoons my grandfather used to sketch at the bottom of his letters when I was a kid - little stick horses with flat feet, flat heads, and short tails.

This one is a card I found in a hole-in-the-wall stationary shop on a trip. You can't tell it here, but the card is actually embossed. I'd mention the artist, but the signature is tiny and cursive - it looks like Foley...?

And finally, a picture I took and tinkered with on Photoshop. Maybe it's cheating, but I liked the watercolor effect. That's Sahara, Star and Dancer, farm babies all, as weanlings. Solitaire was being shy - she's back behind Star's butt, peering around.
So, there you have it - those, in addition to a bunch of candid photos of family (including the critters) and of course, this one of Sunny....

How about you guys? Do your horses follow you indoors and help you decorate?

No comments: